How to Read a Tank Gauge
Checking your gauge regularly is an easy way to ensure you always have enough fuel. Remember: If your tank is empty, a qualified professional must inspect your system.
How to Turn the Tank Off
There are a few reasons why you’d need to turn off the flow of propane to your tank. Fortunately, turning a tank off is very easy.
What To Do If You Smell Gas
When it comes to gas appliances, safety is a top priority. If you smell gas in your home, follow these steps.
If you Suspect a Gas leak
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Handling & Transporting Small Cylinders
You can use portable propane cylinders for a variety of applications. Be sure you know how to transport, handle, and store these small cylinders in a safe manner.
Getting Your Propane System Inspected
To keep your home’s propane system in great shape, you need regular inspections by a qualified professional. Here’s what to expect during a typical inspection. Please call Waterford Oil if you need an inspection, call 507-645-5659.
If you’re thinking about converting appliances from propane to natural gas, there are a few things you should consider first. Most importantly, always leave it to the pros.